Friday, February 1, 2008

Oddities and Observations

Hello, All! Well, having been in Belgium for several months now, we've had the opportunity to note some interesting differences in everyday life - things you may not notice if here only on vacation or for a short period of time. Granted, these are nowhere near as odd as experiences we've had in Asia, but are just a few things we've observed, some quite obscure. I've broken them down into four categories for your reading pleasure:

Television:
Each morning I wake up looking forward to watching Will & Grace and, after that, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Hey - don't judge - you'd find yourself watching things you may not normally watch when English language television is limited...... oh, who am I kidding, I'd watch these in the states too! Anyway, I usually wake between 7:15am and 7:40am as Eric is getting ready for work. I flip on the TV and either wait for Will & Grace to start or catch it mid-way through. The thing is, the start time of my morning shows appears to be fairly random. Not completely random, because I know it'll start sometime between 7:12 and 7:21am, just fairly random. And then The Fresh Prince will follow sometime around 7:48am.

We've noticed this same pattern, or lack thereof, with most television programming. No exact start time, even if it's advertised. You may see that "Bridget Jones' Diary" is going to be on tomorrow evening at 9:15pm, but really, that's just an estimate. Could be 9:03, in which case you miss the first 12 minutes, or it could be 9:22pm - either way. And then there's the placement of commerical breaks...this one isn't fairly random, it's COMPLETELY random. It never takes place at the natural storyline break. It's always in an unexpected place - like right before someone answers a question or even in the middle of the question. Eric and I always crack up because it takes us by surprise. Commericals come at the least likely or logical place. It's so weird. Even if it's an American show that probably came with the commerical break placements pre-determined. It's as if they like to change it around just for the fun of it!

In keeping with that unpredictability, I've noticed that shows don't always play each day at the same time... or even on the same channel. Shortly after arriving, I stumbled upon Oprah one afternoon. I was so excited (even though it was an episode from 7 months ago) - I'd be able to get a daily dose of Oprah! So, I faithfully tuned in at the same time the following day. Sad to say, no Oprah for Mel. I tried again the next day just in case Oprah was only on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. No Oprah again. I started flipping channels and found Dr. Phil (definitely not something I'd watch in the states) and an hour later Oprah came on - different time, different channel.

The Gym:
Well, I did join a gym here and that's been interesting. I've managed to get through pilates, bodysculpt, bodypump, and spinning classes - all in Flemish. Right now I'm really good at counting (in Flemish) backwards from eight to one. I also know the words for up, down, again and more (as in eight more, four more, etc.). The set up of the gym is pretty similar to gyms in the states, only on a smaller scale. What's not similar are the hours. Apparently, people don't go "sporting" here until much later. Whereas in the states the gym would open at 5 or 6am (if not being open 24 hours), the gyms here don't open until 9am. And all the classes are at 11am or noon. I'm used to going to the gym for classes around 8am and then being done and having the rest of my day to get things done. Here, by the time I'm done at the gym, it's 2pm! It's also so much easier NOT to get to the gym because activities, events and outings come up and you can't go to the gym beforehand. Good thing I walk so much here.

The other thing I find puzzling, has to do with decorations vs. necessities. Somehow, someone felt that a very well-lit, religiously-used disco ball took priority over.... fans. There are no fans in the gym. But the disco ball is affixed perfectly in the center of the group-ex room, and it has yellow, orange, red AND white flashing lights positioned to illuminate the area with colorful sparkles throughout your workout. What I wouldn't give for a fan about 45minutes into my workout if not for cool air, then for circulation of the very warm, muggy, sweaty air.

Candy:
I realize it's typical Mel to notice the extensive differences in candy options here. I'm not sure anyone else would notice or care, but since you're reading anyway, you may as well learn a little about candy in Belgium. Now, when I say candy, I'm of course not referring to the deliciously, delightful, delectable Belgian chocolate that we've had the pleasure of enjoying (often) during our stay. I'm referring to the chewy, gummy, sugary treats that I should NOT be enjoying so often. But actually, I'm not enjoying them so much. They're either not chewy enough and it hurts to try to chew, or too soft and it's like a weird sugar that melts before you can chew it.

Needless to say I've been craving some good 'ol fashioned bad-for-you American candy with the perfect chewy consistency. I had been lamenting my ridiculous plight, and apparently my husband took mercy on me and had provisions sent from the motherland! Lo and behold, a beautiful package arrived for me today! I knew I had good reasons for marrying him!! Here are the contents:

And this was me 10 minutes after the package arrived:


And finally....
The Radio:
We've discovered that most radio stations here don't have themes. In the states, you'd find a country music station playing country music, or an alternative station playing alternative music, rap stations playing rap.... you get my drift. But here it appears to be a free for all. You can get anything on any station at any given time. For instance, you may hear a completely obscure, one hit wonder from the 80's like Jack Wagner's "All I Need" (click here for a refresher: All I Need) and then the next song will be Kanye West's "Stronger". After that will be Levert's "Casanova" and then the ever-popular "Big Girl" by Mika (is this song playing in the States?) . And finally, one of their favorites, "I'll Be There for You" by the Rembrandt's, which most American's will only remember as the theme song to Friends. Yes, that is a likely five song lineup here. According to Eric, if you listen to the radio regularly, you may just believe that Rod Stewart, Tears for Fears and Prince still have active music careers. Strange.

ok, hope you enjoyed our observations of Belgian oddities! Nothing we can't live with and laugh at!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I understand the limited options in TV. When I was living in Sweden, I regularly watched Rickie Lake....total crap television...but you take what you can get if it's in English. Similar situation with the commercials. They came at inappropriate times in the show, but only occured once per half hour (for TEN minutes!).

I had no idea that Jack Wager did that song. He was Frisco on General Hospital. Is it pathetic that I know that?

Interesting about the candy. The Swedes had odd candy too. They did have one candy that I completely loved and can't fine in the U.S. They were these blue sugar covered gummy soda-bottle-shaped sours. Ooooo. Makes my mouth water just remembering them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanyann and Eric:

It is George from Memphis, TN. It was very interesting reading your BLOG. The info was great and entertaining to read. Also, this may be an indication of my lack of tech savy, but that was the FIRST blog i have EVER read. Very cool how you are able to set up a blog and post to it from any where.

Good luck to ya'll (Memphis, or southern U.S. term for "you" plural :-) on your travels. I will try read your blog again soon.

- George

Ian said...

HiMelandEric,
Heidi and I found it strange that most of the mainstream shows were American Sitcoms (Friends, some show with David Spade, etc...). The main regional shows were the Local News and "BBC...live from Airstrip One". Take care!

Love,
H,I,b,E